Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Still. Domestic Violence Awareness in Utah County with featured speaker, Heather Smith Woolsey

This month of October has been so rewarding for me personally.  I've been so grateful to the many musicians, performers, advocates and speakers who are donating their personal time and talents to bring Domestic Violence into the light of personal, relational and community awareness. 

One of our featured speakers is Heather Smith Woolsey.  She is a leading advocate in Utah for domestic violence victims and she is also a survivor.  Heather came onto my radar about a year ago while I still lived in Utah County.  We went to lunch recently and I told her I was "just a little bit triggered" when I watched her speak.  Heather is very open and expressive about what domestic violence does to individuals and families.  She gives details and she cries over the pain in public.  She expresses her anger and she is unapologetic for all of it.  I, on the other hand, am still timid about what I've gone through I think or maybe I'm still sorting through the past 8 crazy years of my life.  Either way, I'm still more silent than I want to be.  Heather has taught me the value of expressing my life for what it is without the fear of judgement or condemnation.  Heather also comes from my faith tradition and I see how our shared religious background manifests in how we responded to our circumstances, which is strangely comforting.  Heather is faith in action and her efforts to help victims of domestic violence will be felt for many generations in Utah County.  Do yourself a huge favor and come listen to a bit of her story this Friday at 7:00 in Provo (Covey Center for Perf Arts)!!

This is Heather:)


And here is a portion of her story highlighted on KSL!
I love her!!!!  Thank you so much!

WATCH:Heather Woolsey on KSL!


No comments:

Post a Comment